Knob mute feature

Forums Feature Requests Knob mute feature

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rikard 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rikard

It would be nice if the knobs could be “muted” – when holding down shift and turning a knob, nothing should happen. This is a nice feature seen on yamaha groove boxes.

It is very helpful in multitimbral operation so the user can position the knob correctly after changing part without values jumping around.

Also part select buttons should be mutable, so that a new part can be selected without triggering it or unmuting it. hi

#451 Reply

electribe.shaman
    Keymaster

Thanks. This sounds doable enough. If other people would support this as well, it could happen pretty soon. Just to be clear, how you see it is that you would turn a knob while holding the SHIFT key, and nothing would happen. Then, as you release the SHIFT key, the parameter would ‘jump’ to the value the knob happens to be at? Would the ‘look’ of the knob be precise enough to get what you want? And what should happen when you turn multiple knobs, one after another, and only then release the SHIFT – should they all jump to new values?

#452 Reply

electribe.shaman
    Keymaster

Actually there is another feature that I already started tinkering with. I have always been missing the feature from some of the synths with encoder wheel I own (Roland JX-10 for example) where the display would show the changing value of a knob or wheel being turned. That would complement ‘knob muting’ pretty nicely, wouldn’t it?

#474 Reply

Rikard

Hello,
    On the yamaha groovboxes (rs-7000 etc.) the shift buttons just mute the knob function when you turn it. When shift is released, nothing happens – it does not send the new values instantly. Only when you start moving the knobs again after release shift it will start outputting the values. The only purpose of this is to make an aproximate correct setting of the knob positions after changing multitimbral part and before tweaking start, in a lve situation.

But maybe it would be cool the other way you described, instantly after shift release values all knobs that has been tweaked are sent – although I dont see any actual usage of this.

Yeah, having the values show up in display would be cool. But It would be nice if that function can be activated/deactivated in the menu since it might be distracting for some.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Knob mute feature
Your information: